Flash And A Thunderstorm
- A blog post based on conversations with participants during my photography classes.
When I look outside at night it’s pretty dark.
Other than the glowing, translucent blinds from the windows of the apartments across the courtyard, there ain’t much beein’ seen.
Unless there’s a flash of lightning.
When there’s a flash of lightning, I can see the wall that surrounds those glowing windows.
- That flash of lightning is like the flash that photographers use.
- An intermittent, illuminating light source of brief duration that can vary in intensity.
- That flash of lightning ain’t like the flash that photographers use.
- Flash is: It’s portable. We can use it as an element of composition anytime we want. We can modify it. It’s predictable. We can control the characteristics of the light source.
The pop-up flash on your camera is good enough to learn with.
You’ll need to plunk down some cash if ya want a flash that’ll give ya more than the pop-up flash on your camera does.