- Learn The Basics Of Photography And Learn To Use Your Camera To Create The Photographs That You Want
- Introduction To Photography Class In Washington DC – Course Description
- Are you getting the the kind of photographs that you’d like ? As an example…
- The way to get better photographs, and become a better photographer, is to learn to work your camera in manual exposure mode because…
- What You’ll Learn
- How You’ll Learn
- Prerequisites For The Introduction To Photography Class In Washington DC
- Introduction To Photography – Student Comments(Click this link to see more student comments)
- Important Notices
- Class Meeting Location
- Upcoming Classes, Price And Registration
Introduction To Photography Class In Washington DC
Learn The Basics Of Photography And Learn To Use Your Camera To Create The Photographs That You Want
Introduction To Photography Class In Washington DC – Course Description
While working your camera in fully manual exposure mode throughout the Introduction To Photography Class In Washington DC you’ll become thoroughly familiar with basic camera operation. In addition, you’ll learn to use your camera settings and features as elements of effective photographic composition. Furthermore, the class includes in-class lectures/discussion, in-class practical application exercises, homework assignments and weekly self-critiques.
- 4 meetings, 12 hours
- Limited to 8 registrants.
Are you getting the the kind of photographs that you’d like ? As an example…
- Do your pictures appear too blurry, too light, too dark or don’t look like the picture that you had in mind?
- Are you getting disappointed or frustrated and thinking that photography is too difficult?
- Did you buy a “better” camera but still aren’t getting the pictures that you want?
- Do you want to stop getting “point and shoot” results from your SLR camera?
The way to get better photographs, and become a better photographer, is to learn to work your camera in manual exposure mode because…
- When we work our camera in manual exposure mode we’re using our camera in a thoughtful manner. In other words, we get involved in operating our camera to control the outcome of our photograph instead of the camera controlling the outcome of the photograph.
What You’ll Learn
- Within the class structure of the Introduction to photography class you’ll learn to rely on your mind, instead of a machine, to create a photograph. What is meant by that is, you’ll be involved in the creation of your photograph to the fullest extent possible. For the purpose of creating the best photographs possible, you’ll learn about functions on your camera that are critical to creating thoughtful compositions that are uniquely yours. Specifically, among other things, you’ll learn how to think of focusing, metering and exposure as elements of composition. And you’ll learn how to relate those elements of composition to the specific operation of your camera.
How You’ll Learn
While I was studying photography my best teachers demonstrated that the best way to learn was by doing. As a a result of this experience I follow the lead of my best teachers when it comes to playing the role of teacher during my photography classes. Accordingly, you’ll learn by doing.
How You’ll Learn During Class
While participating in Introduction To Photography class in Washington DC, as previously mentioned, you’ll learn by doing. Specifically, practicing camera operation and technique during class time is a regular part of the training. As a result of practicing camera operation and technique during class time, the participant is immediately able to apply their newly acquired skills.
While practicing camera operation and technique is important, learning to think like a photographer is emphasized throughout the class. That is to say, that a thought process and vocabulary needs to be cultivated for the purpose of becoming aware of what we are doing as photographers. This is accomplished through in class discussions and the encouragement of questions.
Incidentally, there are no handouts. Therefore, note taking is strongly recommended. More precisely, take ’em by hand with a pen or pencil. Because, studies have shown that taking notes by hand improves learning. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-learning-secret-don-t-take-notes-with-a-laptop/
How You’ll Learn Outside of Class
In addition, weekly homework assignments are given for the purpose of reinforcing what’s covered during class. More importantly, the homework given is not subject specific. Instead, the homework is specific to the topics covered during class. Because the homework assignments are topic specific, the photographers participating in the Introduction To Photography Class In Washington DC can photograph subjects that are meaningful to them. As a consequence, the class participants learn effectively by producing photographs that are relevant to the type of work they each prefer to do. Moreover, since each photographer brings in different work to display during the meeting as their homework, (4″X6″ prints are recommended) conversations organically spring up about the work. The importance of these conversations is that it helps us cultivate a thought process and vocabulary that are imperative to utilize during our studies and practice.
Prerequisites For The Introduction To Photography Class In Washington DC
- Any camera offering a fully manual exposure mode.
- You’ll need to bring the “full version” of your camera owners manual to class.
- The ability to bring in 4″ X 6″ prints to class for weekly discussions.
- Please bring something to take notes with to class.
- By registering for this class I agree to the Registration Terms And Conditions.
Class Meeting Location
The Introduction To Photography Class In Washington DC meets near the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro station. If you have any questions about the meeting location of the class, then please contact Sam ( https://samdamico.com/contact-sam/ )
- Here’s a link for more information about meeting locations–>https://samdamico.com/getting-to-the-classes/
Upcoming Classes, Price And Registration
Study And Practice Photography With Sam
Upcoming Group Photography Classes In Washington DC
Being A Photographer-An Online Discussion And Learning Platform For Photographers
Purchase A Photograph As Wall Decor
License The Use Of A Photograph For Commercial Or Editorial Use